Too many serious injuries and deaths happen when loading and unloading flat bed trucks.
One of the common injuries are caused by falling off the back of the truck while securing or unsecuring the load.
To prevent this from happening in your workplace, we recommend you stay on the ground, away from moving machinery and forklifts during loading and unloading.
The best way to go about this is:
- Ensuring the equipment you are using to load and unload is suitable for the job on hand.
- Pre-configuring the load to suit the equipment
- Pre-slinging the load where possible
- Only using load restraints that you can access from the ground
When working on the ground is not possible, there must be a safe means of accessing and if neccessary working on the tray or trailer.
This can include:
- The use of guard rails and temporary work platforms
- Fall restraint systems
- Retractable ladders or steps with handrails
Fall Arrest Systems should only be used where the above mentioned methods are impossible or impracticle.
If you need further assistance reach out to our team of fall prevention and warehouse safety experts to discuss your workplace today on 1300 554 192.